Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Late Night Offers Turned Into Lasting Memories

This weekend, I took my nephew to see the Harlem Globetrotters. I hadn't been planning on taking him but both his parents had to work, they had free tickets and I offered to take him at 11 pm the night before (half asleep,) so I couldn't have backed out. I'm glad I didn't. We had a great time!


I'm sure most of you have heard of them but for those who have not, the Harlem Globetrotters are called an "exhibition" basketball team, they are not part of the National Basketball Association (NBA) and they are really quite athletic and talented basketball players.

Gotta love a good dunk!

They put on more of a show, rather than play a serious game, (they always play the Washington Generals and the Globetrotters always win,) which is very much family oriented and along with ultra flashy moves they play a lot of pranks on each other as well as the Generals and the audience.For instance, here they had stopped in the middle of the game to play baseball instead of basketball.

And here the entire team was dancing (or actually doing that head twitch thing to that song What Is Love,) with Big Globie, the mascot.

It was the first time Little J. had ever been to any type of sporting event or large stadium and wasn't sure what to expect. He was in awe of all the stairs and seats and was thrilled with the scoreboard...

Every time a basket was made he had to tell me "Auntie J! Now they're at 58," or whatever the score happened to go up to. Hooting as loud as he could when the announcer prompted the crowd to "Make some noise!" and imitating a vendor shouting "cotton candy!" It was complete sensory overload for a 5 year old!

I hadn't expected that he would want to stay the entire game, but at half time, he was still really excited, so we decided to get a souvenir ball...

He soon discovered the dribbling was going to take some practice...

As was getting it to spin on his finger. (A classic Globetrotter stunt.)

He even shocked me by wanting to stay and get autographs!

Seeing him so excited and having a good time and being silly and being a kid took me back to the days...I remember seeing the Globetrotters with my dad at the local fieldhouse in my hometown. I'm glad I got a chance to remember the past and make new memories!

J.


24 comments:

rouli said...

lovely post!!!!!!

i like your black shoes at the post below!!!!!!

cool blog!thanks for comment!!!!!

www.thebeautifulandthehard.blogspot.com

Cafe Fashionista said...

Awww...I'm so glad he had a fabulous time! It sounds like your weekend was amazing! I have never been to a live sporting event before, but it sounds like so much fun!! :)

Anonymous said...

looks like you had such a great time!! so nice of you to bring your nephew, he'll remember that for a very long time, i'm sure!

Agnieszka Szykor said...

thank you very much for the award! I'll put in in a note next time, couse today I had no space left I;m afraid ;).

And so much envy.. we don't have basketball games like that! and I would really like to see something like that, I am sick with all therse football lovers.

emily said...

aw this looks like such a fun event, i find it hilarious how they stopped the game and pretended to play baseball!

Jade Purple Brown said...

thats so nice that he took the time to take a picture since most celebs dont!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

OMG, I still remember the first time I saw them!!

Marz said...

So adorable! Sounds like an amazing time. I love watching basketball games!

Audrey Allure said...

Aw, that's sweet - sounded like an amazing time and even more a great time for your nephew :)


Thank you for your sweet comment. I really appreciate it. <3

Unknown said...

looks like so much fun xxxxx

vint junky said...

Aw he is such a little cutie!!

xxx

MalibuMara said...

OMG that is sooo cool
you got such great photos too!
thanks for the award! im kinda slow lol,
you are soo sweet

Meream said...

The exhibition shows are always better than the real games, I always thought. Hahaha

PS - My website was busted for a while. It's back up but I lost some content and your comments (that I really treasure). BIG SAD but life goes on, yeah? Adding you to my blogroll again. :)

glee said...

I love bastketball a lot and it's a game I wouldn't get tired watching :)

Your boy must be a budding basketball star.

Anonymous said...

wow amazing!
thank you for your nice comment:)
xx

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic weekend. xo Mish

TOXiC said...

Could that be a future hoopster I c? lol

P.S~ cud u believe I wasn't follow you all this time shame on me =x

::Salutes::

Rohini said...

Great post! I've always wante to go to a basketball game, just never did thoug.
Followed you. :)
Xx

Anonymous said...

aw your nephew must've had the best night ever! that sounds like so much fun. i love seeing the pics. ~joelle

bravegrrl said...

you are such an awesome aunt! sounds like a blast... and kids always bring out something amazing when you least expect it... like taking us down memory lane :)

xo

Tiffany Kadani said...

You are such a good Auntie. I can't wait to take my future sons to see them. Every kid's dream, right?

A Gluten Freestyle said...

Awesome post. I would love to go to one of these games, looks like SO much fun!
x

Law1sfab said...

your nephew is just toooo cute, I think it is such a great thing to get kid's out the house and have some fun that does not include PS3 :P

Great post, hope you have a great weekend and do you have River Island ....I think they are coming to the U.S .........anyway xxx

Erin Kim said...

that looks like so much fun! i've never seen the harlem globetrotters but i've always wanted too. maybe one day! and the pictures of your nephew are so precious. he looks so sweet. :) fun post!