Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Closet Challenge - My Friend or Foe The Denim Shirt

Denim is and should be a staple in most wardrobes. It's trusty, flexible and goes with most everything. But I just can't figure out the denim shirt which, unlike everything else, does not go with jeans. Can you say denim suit? Gross. I realize they're back and as popular as ever but I can never figure out what to wear on the bottom.

Well, this happens to be the denim shirt I have in my closet. It's from Sim Sim by Javier Simorra, a line from Spain. The details, like the contrasting stitching, and asymmetrical pockets keep it fresher than the 80's version, but it's still a tough piece for me to pull together, and I have not worn it more than once since I received it, so you know the rules...if I can't wear it 3 different ways then it needs to go away. I really want to like it, so into the closet I go...

I was worried that I would look like a hairband groupie if I paired it with leather like materials, but I wore it to dinner with the lace up oxfords and I think it came out more modern than I expected.

I know, I know! I need a haircut but my stylist is sick! Here it is with the floaty skirt, (which I'm happy to say I altered within a month.) A good contrast to the heavier material of the shirt and this time I did keep it a little old school with the broach at the collar...


I love this gem and I've been dieing to wear it!

So what for number 3? I need help! Recommendations please!

J.

4 comments:

Alex Dom said...

looks chic with those pants !

J. said...

Thank you...I was surprised it worked out so well.

Pearl Westwood said...

Your shirt look amazing with both outfits! I have a short sleeve denim shirt/ jacket thing, I wear it mostly open as a jacket over erm well everything this summer - wroked surprisingly well with harem pants too. If I wear it as a buttoned up shirt it looks good with my black leather pencil skirt. I say try it with everything you own - except other denim! x

J. said...

You're right- I need to try more before I give up on it. I need to invest in more leather pieces... A leather pencil skirt sounds perfect for this fall!